Thursday, October 25, 2012

Stepping away from the polls for a second

I had the privilege of meeting Mitt Romney in 2008 on a cruise, a week after Obama had won the election.  This was long before anyone knew what the Obama presidency would be like.  We feared the coming disaster, but hoped we were wrong.

I was struck at how humble he seemed.  He was articulate and clearly smart.  He understood economic issues and could articulate them well.  He was a little goofy in how he would talk.  Not like he was forcing it, just that he wasn't a professional at public speaking.  He came across as genuine.

Meeting people, and shaking their hands, he was warm and personable.  Happy to accept well wishes, while being humble about why he lost to McCain.

It turns out that I look a lot like Mitt, and spent the entire week being asked if I was his son.  It was pretty funny.  I show pictures of the two of us together and everyone laughs at the resemblance.

The point is that this man is a genuine man.  Yes, he is wealthy, but that never came across.  You don't get the impression that he considers himself to be an exceptional man who to whom being President is a birthright.

Beyond the polls, you know Mitt Romney will win this election.  His rally at Red Rocks in Colorado showed me that he has grown into what the country wants and needs in this time of turmoil.  This election is no longer about his desire to be President.  He has now become the vessel through which the will of the voters is being expressed.





But this isn't the same as the adoration that Obama received in 2008, where he was being elevated to a God-King.  That was a man born of hubris, convinced that the adulation was for him.  That he was the Rock Star, that he was deserving of the love showered upon him, because of his own special magnificence.

With Romney is it different.  He understands that he is just a man, a man put in this place, at this time, to express the will of We the People.  It is a rare individual who can separate his ego from the roar of the crowds, and see a higher purpose.




If you haven't, go watch the videos of Red Rock.  It is the picture of a man who is stunned by what is happening.  A man who is realizing that he is going to be the next President, and the enormous responsibility that will hold.

I read a report from Ulsterman's Insider a few minutes ago, that brought tears to my eyes.  Let me quote one small passage.

And enough people notice that the area gets a lot more quiet, and they are trying to watch the governor without looking like they are watching the governor.  They can all kind of tell something is happening right then.  It was described as something very peaceful and powerful that came over that backstage area for a moment.  And the governor, he lowers his head and his eyes shut tight and you could see him take a slow deep breath and then he lets it out and says quietly, but just loud enough for some to hear, “Lord, if this is your will, please help to make me worthy.  Please give me the strength Lord.”  And then his eyes open up, and he’s back to smiling and laughing and shaking hands and being the candidate once again.
I don't need a poll to tell me this man will win.

Update:  By request, the picture of Mitt and me.

6 comments:

  1. Cool post, Dave. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that Romney will do things that irritate and even infuriate me at times while he's the president, but one thing that I have become convinced of in the course of this long slog of an election is that he's a good guy. I think he'll do a pretty good job, too. He'll surely work at doing a good job at least, and that alone will be a huge and pleasant change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe he received the spiritual "mantle" of the presidency at that event. Being President is a heavy burden on any person and it ages whoever is called to fill that role. I hope and pray Mitt Romney will be a good President. The country needs a good leader at this time so desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dave, a very powerful and moving story. I will be very happy to call Mitt Romney "President" beginning in January next year. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, I think you owe your readers the picture of you and your twin Mitt Romney :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story checks out!

      You do look like you could be a member of the family, I'd be crashing family reunions. too funny!

      Delete